Sunday 3 July 2011

IdIoMs.....

WhAt ArE iDiOmS?
Idioms appear in every language, and English has thousands of them. They are often confusing because the meaning of the whole group of words taken together has little, often nothing, to do with the meanings of the words taken one by one.
For instance, to "let the cat out of the bag" means to reveal a secret. Today the phrase has nothing to do with a cat or a bag, but hundreds of years ago it actually did.
In order to understand a language, you must know what the idioms in that language mean. If you try to figure out the meaning of an idiom literally, word by word, you will get befuddled. You have to know its "hidden meaning".

So let's check out the idioms that we can learn for today.....


ace: make an "A" on a test, homework assignment, project, etc.
"Somebody said you aced the test, Dave. That's great!"
all right (1): expression of reluctant agreement.
A: "Come to the party with me. Please!"
B: "Oh, all right. I don't want to, but I will."
all right (2): fair; not particularly good.
A: "How's your chemistry class?"
B: "It's all right, I guess, but it's not the best class I've ever had."
all right (3): unharmed; in satisfactory condition.
A: "You don't look normal. Are you all right?"
B: "Yes, but I have a headache."
and then some: and much more besides.

A: "I'd guess your new computer cost about RM2,000. "
B: "It cost that much and then some because I also bought extra RAM and VRAM."

antsy: restless; impatient and tired of waiting.

"I hope Katy calls soon. Just sitting around and waiting is making me antsy."
as easy as pie: very easy.

"I thought you said this was a difficult problem. It isn't. In fact, it's as easy as pie."
at the eleventh hour: at the last minute; almost too late.

"Yes, I got the work done in time. I finished it at the eleventh hour, but I wasn't late.

to be continue.....

So you can apply it in your essays too....

No comments:

Post a Comment